Christmas is conventionally associated with cold weather, ignoring the fact that in the southern hemisphere, Christmas Day can be one of the hottest days of the year.
But, in those places where it really is cold, warm clothes are essential; sweaters are one of the favorite items of clothing.
Unfortunately, too many of the designs turn out to be really ugly Christmas sweaters.
Well, presumably, not ugly to the people who chose to wear them. But, looked at objectively, there are five basic themes that seem to be repeated in varying degrees of ugliness. These are (in no particular order):
- Santa Claus
- Christmas Trees
- Reindeer (with or without sleds)
- Snow (or snowflakes)
The ugliest examples feature a combination of some – or all – of the above.
Interestingly, we were not able to easily locate any sweaters – ugly or otherwise – which had a relevant connection to what Christmas Day is supposed to commemorate. No mangers, donkeys, three wise men, or virgins.
Anyway, feel free to browse through our selection of those items that we think qualify for the description of really ugly Christmas sweaters:
1. This happy couple have added bells and a wreath, and even managed to put a snowman ON a sled.
2. This young lady has managed to include teddy bears in Santa hats – a novel twist.
3. Black cats in Santa hats – whatever next?
4, Snowflakes and upside down reindeer – did they slip on the snow?
5. An unusual combination of snowmen
6. Trees,snowflakes, snowmen, and reindeer. Well, that’s four out of five.
7. Are the snowman just happy – or drunk?
8. Which lucky child is going to wear this sweater with the miserable Santa?
9. Well, at least it’s original! Unfortunately, the wearer seems to have sampled some of the merchandise!
10. Oops! Be careful where you put those antlers!
11. Two reindeers for the price of one
12. Did she just see the Ghost of Christmas?
13. Looks like someone jingled HIS bells!
14. Look carefully. What, exactly, are these reindeer doing to each other?
15. We like to end on a happy note – at least we assume he’s jumping for joy!
So – there you have our selection of ugly Christmas sweaters.
Which do you think is the ugliest? Do you know of uglier Christmas sweaters? Let us know your thoughts by using the comments feed below.