English is a truly amazing language that contains over a million words, so it is hardly surprising to find some weird words amongst them
From the huge variety of bizarre and unusual words, the Life Daily team has selected just 26 – one for each letter of the alphabet. We have included words that are used more frequently than others, so you’re bound to know some of them, at least.
For example, the word ‘Shenanigan’, whilst it sounds strange is used very regularly. But, is it fair to assume that what is said about a French woman’s ‘Oxter’ is true? You’ll need to scroll down to find out.
Do you ever imagine yourself to be an elephant? If so, there’s a word for that also; it’s at the end of our list of weird words
So take a few moments to browse through our selection and see how many words you know. Maybe save up a few to throw out casually in conversation, and surprise your friends with how vocabularisticalizationally you speak.
Yes, that IS a real word – its an adverb; it describes a person with a large vocabulary.
Time to expand yours – read and learn:
1. Agastopia – Admiration of a particular part of someone’s body
2. Borborygmus – Stomach rumbling
3. Cantankerous – Bad tempered or grumpy
4. Doodle sack – Old English word for bagpipe
5. Erinaceous – Of, pertaining to, or resembling a hedgehog
6. Fartlek – A training system for runners
7. Halfpace – A platform of a staircase where the stair turns back in exactly the reverse direction
8. Impignorate – To pawn or mortgage something
9. Jentacular – Pertaining to breakfast
10. Kakorrhaphiophobia – Fear of failure
11. Lollygag – To dawdle or spend time aimlessly
12. Mollycoddle – To treat someone leniently
13. Nudiustertian – The day before yesterday
14. Oxter – Outdated word meaning ‘armpit’
15. Pratfall – A fall on the buttocks or an embarrassing action.
16. Quire – Two dozen sheets of paper
17. Rambunctious – Uncontrollably excitable or exuberant
18. Shenanigan – Silly behavior
19. Tittynope – A small quantity of something left over
20. Ulotrichous – Having wooly or crispy hair
21. Valetudinarian– A sickly or weak person morbidly concerned with his or her health
22. Winklepicker – Style of shoe or boot in the 1950s with a sharp and long pointed toe
23. Xertz – To gulp down quickly and greedily
24. Yarborough – Hand of cards containing no card above a nine
25. Zoanthropy – Delusion of a person who believes himself changed into an animal
So, those were our 25 weird words. How many did you know? You can tell us in the comments section below. And, if you have your own favorite weird word that we didn’t use, you can include it also.