6-Year-Old Develops Bacterial Skin Infection After Swimming At Beach

6-Year-Old Develops Bacterial Skin Infection After Swimming At Beach

A Virginia mom says her daughter Bella was diagnosed with a severe case of impetigo after swimming at Huntington Beach on Saturday. 

Nicole Sullivan describes that her 6-year-old daughter Bella had a scratch on her face before she went swimming, but it got progressively worse after she got out of the water. 

“I thought maybe it was just poison ivy so I put some caladryl lotion on it and some Benadryl,” Sullivan told wgntv. “Tuesday morning she woke up and both eyes were completely closed shut and she was completely swollen, her face, her neck, her arms also,” she continued. 

After taking her daughter to the doctor, Sullivan says Bella was diagnosed with impetigo due to the bacteria from the water getting inside of her cut. Impetigo is common in infants and children and usually appears as red sores on the face, especially around the child’s mouth. 

Credit: wgntv

Environmental Health Manager for the Peninsula District Gary Hagy says the water levels tested below the standard on June 9th, so there was no advisory warning when Bella went swimming. However, on June 8, the bacteria levels were higher and there was indeed a swimming advisory. The water is usually tested once a week on Tuesdays, although the water can fluctuate often so there is always going to be a risk. Hagy recommends to not submerse an open cut in the water or go into the water after a heavy rainfall for at least 24 to 48 hours. 

“If you plan to take your child to the beach, see if they have any openings in their skin, hold off on going to the beach perhaps if you do see anything like that or cover them up really well,” warns Sullivan. “I wouldn’t want anything like that to happen to other kids, it’s very painful.”

Watch this video below and please SHARE this mom’s story with your friends and family on Facebook!


[Featured Image Credit: WTKR]