Baby Almost Dies After Chicken Pox Becomes Flesh-Eating Infection

Baby Almost Dies After Chicken Pox Becomes Flesh-Eating Infection

Doctors are supposed to be the experts at keeping their patients healthy, which is one couple almost ignored their instincts after being told their baby boy had chicken pox and that there was nothing to do but wait until it gets better.

At first 13-month-old baby boy Charlie did have the chicken pox, which first popped up in the beginning of February. Parents Becky and Alan Cave tried and relieve some of the pain and itchiness, but knew they just had to wait it out until Charlie got better.

However, by the next morning, Charlie had developed a fever and a cluster of sores popped up on his neck. “A parent knows their child and on that one morning we knew something was wrong,” Alan said.

Mom and dad thought they were just being paranoid and overprotective, but they couldn’t ignore the nagging feeling that something worse was going on and a few days later rushed him to the hospital when the skin on his neck started turning black.

Photo by SWNS

Doctors then discovered Charlie had developed an infection called Necrotizing Fasciitis from scratching a sore on his neck, which spreads quickly and kills soft tissue, as well as the deadly blood poisoning disease Sepsis. “It was an out-of-body experience. We were told quite early on Charlie had sepsis and that it would get worse before it got better, but I don’t think they expected him to be quite as bad as he was,” Alan said.

Charlie was in critical condition and put in a coma, but incredibly survived a 7-hour operation to remove some of the dead skin around his neck from the flesh-eating infection. When tests came back from the removed skin, they also discovered the tough little boy was also fighting a Strep A infection on top of everything else.

Photo by SWNS

Miraculously, Charlie recovered from the various deadly infections, but Becky and Alan are now urging parents to always trust their instinct. “I just want to say to other parents to not take anything for granted and if you have a concern, to act on it,” Alan said. “Make sure you get your child checked out immediately because it is so time sensitive. If we had left it any longer, I think we would be giving a different story.”

Can you believe this little boy’s chicken pox turned into something so deadly? Let us know what you think in the comments below, and please SHARE this with other parents on Facebook.

[Featured image: SWNS]