Getting an unexpected call from the school about your child is rarely ever a good thing, which is why one Australian mom’s stomach dropped when she got a call from her nine-year-old daughter’s school.
Tara Ward was worried that maybe her daughter, Leilani Nanai, wasn’t feeling well or had possibly gotten in trouble, but when she answered the phone, the school frantically told her that her daughter had taken an ‘unknown substance’.
“The first thought that goes through your head is drugs,” Ward said. “It’s an ordeal. The whole time you’re just thinking, ‘what did they take?’.”
Leilani and 25 other students in fourth and fifth grade had been given candy from a fellow classmate who told them all that it was a new popping candy flavor. “When I tasted it, I could tell something wasn’t right,” said Leilani, who ate about half the packet of ‘candy’. “Straight away I felt sick in the stomach and got a sore throat. It didn’t feel very nice at all.
Some of the students who ate the crystal substance dropped to the floor and started shaking, and when first responders got to the school, they discovered that the ‘candy’ was actually a toxic substance called ‘Mystical Fire’ that’s used to make campfires change color.
Thankfully, all the students are expected to make a full recovery, however, the school is still investigating the incident, as some students are claiming the girl purposely drugged them. “The one message we would really like to get out to all of our students and their parents is to please be aware of what your children are bringing to school,” said Principal Pamela O’Loughlin. “The other message we want to get out is for children to only eat what your parents put in your lunchbox and don’t take food from anybody else.”
How would you react if your child had been drugged at school? Let us know in the comments below, and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: theweeklysprinkle]