Man Rescues Dog After Being Swallowed Whole By Quicksand

Man Rescues Dog After Being Swallowed Whole By Quicksand

Dog owners often let their dogs off the leash while out on a walk, so they can run around and burn off some energy. However, one UK man learned the hard way that a walk can be deadly for a dog if you let them out of your sight.

Paul Stott, 51, had taken his three-month-old Chihuahua mix and two other dogs out for a walk with his girlfriend Kyla Holmes and let him off his leash to run around like he always did on walks. The Chihuahua, named Dave, ran ahead of the couple, but then suddenly disappeared.

Photo by Mercury
Photo by Mercury

Luckily, Kyla saw him disappear into the sand, ran to the spot where he vanished, and reached into the ground, which ended up being a pit of quicksand, and pulled him free. “He went underneath the sand completely and disappeared,” Stott said. “If Kyla had not seen him go under we would not have known where he was. He made no sound and he was just gone. He would have just disappeared without a trace. Kyla rushed over and stuck her arm in and pulled him out. He had been completely submerged but he was fine. It was very lucky.”

Photo by Mercury
Photo by Mercury

“At first we were just pleased to have got Dave out OK. He was fine, he just shook it off and went on his way. I think we were more shocked by it than him. However, as we walked away, we realized how dangerous it really was. I thought if small children who could easily end up in it, or other dogs. Even horses walk on that beach and their legs would go down it,” Stott said.

Photo by Mercury
Photo by Mercury

“So I went back and filmed myself putting my arm in to see how deep it was. I couldn’t’ believe it. My arm went in it five feet but I didn’t touch the bottom. It was definitely deeper than that. It was two or three feet across too,” said Stott who shared his story and video to warn how dangerous quicksand is. “People need to know what to look for and how to identify one of these holes as they are hard to spot but there are signs.”

Watch the entire video below to see this dog owner’s scary warning.

What would you do if this was your dog? Let us know what you think in the comments below, and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.

[Featured image: Mercury]