Shortly after moving into a new home, one UK mother of two started working around the house and the garden in the yard to make it feel more like home for her young children. However, while she worked in the garden one afternoon, the 44-year-old got a small scratch on her hand.
At first, Lucy Smith didn’t think much of the small scratch on her hand, since scratches usually heal easily on their own. Smith thought the scratch was healing fine, however, a week later she was forced to go to the doctor when she began experiencing pain in her shoulder. Lucy was diagnosed with nerve pain, but when her fingers and arms swelled up and she began vomiting regularly, she decided to get a second opinion.
The next doctor thought Lucy might have a blood clot, and sent her to the hospital, however, a simple blood test at the hospital revealed she was suffering from Sepsis. They immediately treated the 44-year-old with antibiotics, but passed away on her sixth day in the hospital because of toxic shock from the Sepsis.
“Had Lucy initially been given that simple blood test and received the treatment that she needed on Friday when she saw a GP I am convinced that the outcome would have been a positive one and that her children, Megan and George who are six and nine years old, would still have their wonderful, beautiful mummy,” Lucy’s sister Caroline said.
Now, Caroline is sharing Lucy’s story to warn others so they know the signs and symptoms of Sepsis, which is responsible for more deaths than bowel, breast, and prostate cancer combined. “Sepsis can affect anyone at any age, although the young and old are at higher risk, everyone in-between can be struck down,” Caroline explained. “Lucy was excellent in health and just approaching her 44th birthday – no is immune.”
“Busy doctors miss things, you need to be aware of the symptoms and not be fobbed off,” said Caroline to warn others to insist on a Sepsis test if you’re experiencing a fever, nausea, vomiting, rapid pulse, or decreased urination.
Did you know a simple scratch could lead to such a deadly infection? Let us know in the comments below, and please SHARE this with friends and family on Facebook to share Lucy’s story.
[Featured image: mrsturnington]