Fidget spinners have become the newest ‘it’ toy amongst elementary and middle schoolers, however, one Texas mom is warning parents about the seemingly harmless toy after her daughter had to have emergency surgery after playing with one.
“On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving. Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over. She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance. She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it,” mom Kelly Rose Joniec explained.
Thankfully, Britton is doing much better but Joniec has shared their story on Facebook in hopes of warning other parents about the popular toy. “I wish to offer some word of caution to parents. Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.”
Did you know fidget spinners could be so dangerous? Let us know what you think in the comments below and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: Facebook/Kelly Rose Joniec]