The first movie of the Dirty Harry franchise was released in 1971 and starred Clint Eastwood as San Francisco Police Department Inspector, “Dirty” Harry Callahan.
Eastwood delivered his lines in a dry, laconic way; now, more than forty years have passed and Dirty Harry quotes are as memorable as ever.
The critical and commercial success of the first movie spawned a host of sequels: Magnum Force (1973), The Enforcer (1976), Sudden Impact (1983), and The Dead Pool (1988).
Dirty Harry’s view of right and wrong, and how criminals should be treated, ruffled a few liberal feathers in 1971. Today, political correctness would guarantee that Harry would be charged and imprisoned quicker than the bad guys he was chasing.
But none of that detracts from Dirty Harry’s quotes. Make your day by checking them out:
- It’s a question of methods. Everybody wants results, but nobody wants to do what they have to do to get them done.
- Yeah, well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard that’s my policy.
- When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.
- Go ahead, make my day.
- You forgot your fortune cookie. It says, “You’re sh*t out of luck.”
- Smith & Wesson — and me.
- I know what you’re thinking, punk. You’re thinking “did he fire six shots or only five?” Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a.44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you’ve gotta ask yourself a question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk?
- Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along.
- Just what I need, it’s a college boy.
- Sociology? Oh, you’ll go far. That’s if you live.
- There must be something you can get him on.
- (To the Mayor), Well, for the past three-quarters of an hour, I’ve been sitting on my ass waiting on you.
So, did our selection of Dirty Harry quotes make your day?
Which was your favorite, or do you know of one we forgot? Share your thoughts by making use of the comments feed below.