William “Bill” Maher, Jr. was born in New York in 1956. He has enjoyed a varied career until now as a stand-up comedian, television host, political commentator, satirist, author, and actor.
Maher has become known for his sarcastic approach to humor and political satire, always making a point of being politically incorrect.
The quotes of Bill Maher which we have chosen show that very clearly.
He specializes in sociopolitical commentary targeting a wide range of topics. These include religion, politics, bureaucracies of many kinds, political correctness, the mass media, greed, and the lack of intellectual sophistication in the electorate.
Major issues he supports include the legalization of marijuana and same-sex marriage. In 2008 he stirred up considerable controversy with his documentary film Religulous which was highly critical of all religions.
In 2005, Maher was ranked at number 38 on Comedy Central’s 100 greatest stand-up comedians of all time. He received a Hollywood Walk of Fame star on September 14, 2010.
Browse through this small selection of Bill Maher quotes and judge if he deserved these accolades:
- Religion, to me, is a bureaucracy between man and God that I don’t need.
- Suicide is man’s way of telling God, ‘You can’t fire me – I quit’.
- I think capital punishment works great. Every killer you kill never kills again.
- They’re talking about banning cigarette smoking now in any place that’s used by ten or more people in a week, which, I guess, means that Madonna can’t even smoke in bed.
- Everything that used to be a sin is now a disease.
- Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don’t have all the answers to think that they do.
- Let’s face it; God has a big ego problem. Why do we always have to worship him?
- We have the Bill of Rights. What we need is a Bill of Responsibilities.
- If you belonged to a political party or a social club that was tied to as much bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, violence, and sheer ignorance as religion is, you’d resign in protest.
- Men are only as loyal as their options.
- Fame has sent a number of celebrities off the deep end, and in the case of Michael Jackson, to the kiddy pool.
- Things aren’t right. If a burglar breaks into your home and you shoot him, he can sue you. For what, restraint of trade?
- I think flying planes into a building was a faith-based initiative. I think religion is a neurological disorder.
- What Democratic congressmen do to their women staffers, Republican congressmen do to the country.
- The country has become much more conservative, partly because it’s been taken over by the religious right.
Now that you have a clearer idea of Bill Maher’s thinking how do you feel?
Do you agree with his cynicism about religion and politics? If not, why not?
You can share your views by making use of the comments feed below.