Diana, Princess of Wales, is back in the headlines following the publication of the new book
On Duty With the Queen: My Time As a Buckingham Palace Press Secretary, by Dicky Arbiter
Diana, was born in 1961 in Norfolk, England and died tragically in a car accident in Paris, France in 1997 at the age of 36. She was the first wife of Charles, Prince of Wales, the eldest child and heir to the throne of Queen Elizabeth II.
During her relatively short life Diana said a number of things touching on family values.
Diana was born into an English family with royal ancestry. Her wedding to the Prince of Wales on 29 July 1981 at St Paul’s Cathedral was watched by a global television audience of over 750 million. They had two sons, the princes William and Harry.
After her marriage she became well known for her fund-raising work for international charities and as an eminent celebrity of the late 20th century.
Diana was the object of worldwide media scrutiny during and after her marriage, which ended in divorce on 28 August 1996 after mutual allegations of infidelity.
Some of Princess Diana’s wistfulness shows through in these quotes
- Family is the most important thing in the world.
- They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?
- Being a princess isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
- Only do what your heart tells you.
- I like to be a free spirit. Some don’t like that, but that’s the way I am.
- It’s vital that the monarchy keeps in touch with the people. It’s what I try and do.
- I don’t want expensive gifts; I don’t want to be bought. I have everything I want. I just want someone to be there for me, to make me feel safe and secure.
- What must it be like for a little boy to read that daddy never loved mummy?
- There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.
- I live for my sons. I would be lost without them.
- I think like any marriage, especially when you’ve had divorced parents like myself; you want to try even harder to make it work.
- If you find someone you love in your life, then hang on to that love.
Some of Princess Diana’s actions belied her words.
But perhaps the last of her sayings quoted above was her truest motivation. What do you you think?
You can share your thoughts by making use of the comments feed below.