There is no disputing the fact that the human body is an amazing piece of machinery.
Whether you believe that it was created by some divine force, or simply evolved, it is a source for thousands of random facts.
However, given the limitations of your time and our space, the Life Daily team selected just 20 of the most astonishing.
We start with probably the most gruesome fact. Did you ever wonder, when you watched depictions of execution by guillotine in movies or on TV, about what was actually happening inside the brain when the head was no longer joined to the body?
Scientist now have the ability to check that out. They have learned that a human head remains conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after it is been decapitated. It’s thought possible that the blood in the head may be enough to keep someone alive and conscious for a few seconds after the head has been separated from the body.
Perhaps it is better not to dwell further on what might be the thoughts inside the severed head, and move on to a lighter note.
So. here is a little exercise you can do which demonstrates a connection between finger and foot that you would not believe. Sit down and make clockwise circles with your right foot. While doing this, draw the number “6″ in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction – that is a fact. Try it!
If you found those two random facts interesting, take a few moments to browse the rest of the list:
1. People with higher number of moles tend to live longer than people with lesser number of moles
2. Women’s hair is about half the diameter of men’s hair
3. The human heart creates enough pressure while pumping to squirt blood 30 feet!
4. The brain operates on the same amount of power as 10-watt light bulb. Your brain generates as much energy as a small light bulb even when you’re sleeping.
5. The brain itself cannot feel pain. While the brain might be the pain center when you cut your finger or burn yourself, the brain itself does not have pain receptors.
6. The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger. And the nail on the middle finger of your dominant hand will grow the fastest of all. The longest fingers grow nails the fastest and shortest fingers the slowest.
7. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razorblades. Hydrochloric acid, the type found in your stomach, can eat through many types of metal.
8. The surface area of a human lung is equal to a that of a tennis court.
9. Sneezes regularly exceed 100 mph.
10. The average person expels flatulence 14 times each day. Even if you’d like to think you’re too dignified to pass gas, the reality is that almost everyone will do it at least a few times a day (or, to the discomfort of your bed partner – at night!)
11. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
12. Nails and hair do not continue to grow after we die. They only appear longer as the skin dehydrates and pulls back from the nail beds and scalp.
13. Your eyes are always the same size from birth, but your nose and ears never stop growing.
14. The average human can survive a month to two months without food (depending on their body fat and other factors) – provided there is water!
15. It is not possible to tickle yourself. Even the most ticklish people do not have the ability to tickle themselves.
16. The width of your arm-span stretched out is the length of your whole body. While not exact to the last millimeter, your arm-span is a pretty good estimator of your height.
17. Humans are the only animals to produce emotional tears.
18. Women burn fat more slowly than men, by a rate of about 50 calories a day. Most men have a much easier time burning fat than women.
Do you know more about the human body than you did a few moments ago?
Do you have other random facts of your own that you would like to add to our list, or share with our readers?
Simply contact us by using the comments feed below.