Although it is over 20 years since the movie Goodfellas was first screened, many Goodfellas quotes have survived the test of time, and are remembered to this day
This iconic film has become a cult classic, if for no other reason than its dialogue includse the “F” word 296 times – that averages 2.04 “F”s per minute. So, our Life Daily researchers had their work cut out to produce a list of printable quotes, but we think we managed to maintain a reasonable balance, while still preserving the character of the film. The director, Martin Scorsese, allowed the actors to frequently ad-lib, which could lead one to speculate: Do Hollywood actors talk like that when they’re not acting?
Goodfellas was based on the book Wiseguy by Nicolas Pileggi, who also co- wrote the screenplay with Scorsese. Based on Pileggi’s own experiences, the movie comes across as authentic; these quotes give us an insight into a world with different moral values and concepts of honor
The style of the film includes much voice-over narration, which is indicated in our selection by the absence of quotation marks:
Henry Hill (Ray Liotta):
1. As far back as I could remember, I’ve always wanted to be a gangster
2. Jimmy was the kind of guy that rooted for bad guys in the movies
3. Anything I wanted was a phone call away. Free cars. The keys to a dozen hideout flats all over the city
4. Whenever we needed money, we’d rob the airport. To us, it was better than Citibank
5. When they found Carbone in the meat truck, he was frozen so stiff it took them three days to thaw him out for the autopsy
6. Saturday night was for wives, but Friday night at the Copa was for the girlfriends
7. And when the cops, when they assigned a whole army to stop Jimmy, what’d he do? He made ’em partners
8. I bet twenty, thirty grand over a weekend and then I’d either blow the winnings in a week or go to the sharks to pay back the bookies
9. Thirty-two hundred dollars for a lifetime. It wasn’t even enough to pay for the coffin
10. Paulie may have moved slow, but it was only because Paulie didn’t have to move for anybody
11. Now the guy’s got Paulie as a partner. Any problems, he goes to Paulie. Trouble with the bill? He can go to Paulie. Trouble with the cops, deliveries, Tommy, he can call Paulie. But now the guy’s gotta come up with Paulie’s money every week no matter what. Business bad? F**k you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? F**k you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? F**k you, pay me
12. We always called each other good fellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody, :”You’re gonna like this guy. He’s alright. He’s a goodfella”
13. It was real grease-ball shit
14. I swear to my f**king mother, if you touch her again, YOU’RE DEAD
15. You’re a pistol, you’re really funny. You’re really funny
Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci):
16. I’m funny how? I mean funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you?
17. I settle down with a nice girl every night, then I’m free the next morning
18. Who the fuck cares? I’ll dig the f**kin’ hole. I don’t give a f**k. What is it, the first hole I dug? Not the first time I dug a hole. I’ll f**kin’ dig a hole. Where are the shovels?
19. I said, no more shines. Maybe you didn’t hear about it, you’ve been away a long time. They didn’t go up there and tell you. I don’t shine shoes anymore
20. What do you want to tell me now, tough guy? I said, Bing, what are you doing here? I thought I told you to go f**k your mother!
21. Hey, Spider, that f**kin’ bandage on your foot is bigger than your f**kin’ head
22. In this day and age, what the f**k is this world coming to? I can’t believe this, prejudice against – a Jew broad – prejudice against Italians
Jimmy Conway (Robert De Niro):
23. I’m not mad, I’m proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
24. Yeah? You should be sorry. Don’t f**kin do it again and give me the money. Give me the f**kin money, You hear me? You hear me, I gotta come here and you bust my balls? Give me the f**kin money
25. Attaboy! I got respect for this kid. He’s got a lot of f**king balls. Good for you! Don’t take no sh*t off nobody
26. What’s the f**kin’ matter with you? What – what is the f**kin’ matter with you? What are you, stupid or what? Tommy, Tommy, I’m kidding with you. What the f**k are you doin’? What are you, a f**kin’ sick maniac?
27. You stupid b**tard, I can’t f**kin’ believe you. Now, you’re gonna dig the f**kin’ thing now. You’re gonna dig the hole. You’re gonna do it. I got no f**kin’ lime. You’re gonna do it.”
Karen Hill (Lorraine Bracco):
28. I know there are women, like my best friends, who would have gotten out of there the minute their boyfriend gave them a gun to hide. But I didn’t. I got to admit the truth. It turned me on.
29. I couldn’t stand him. I thought he was really obnoxious. He kept fidgeting around. Before it was even time to go home he was pushing me into the car and then pulling me out. It was ridiculous.
30. None of it seemed like crimes. It was more like Henry was enterprising and that he and the guys were making a few bucks hustling, while the other guys were sitting on their asses waiting for hand-outs.
We hope we succeeded in conveying the atmosphere of this film with these Goodfellas quotes, but there is one quote from Henry Hill that we didn’t include. (Spoiler Warning) – When Henry has betrayed his friends and is in the witness protection program, he reflects on his previous life and says, sadly: I’m an average nobody… get to live the rest of my life like a schnook.