A pun is a form of joke which exploits the different possible meanings of a word, or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings.
The food puns we have selected are perfect examples of this form of humor.
The problem with puns is they cannot really be translated into another language and still remain funny.
Their usage and meaning are also a function of the culture. For example, the phrase: “Camping is intense,” is a play on the words “in tents.”
From this, you may understand why translation is impossible. Even if the language is your mother tongue you need to have a large and extensive vocabulary.
The traditional way of receiving a pun style joke is to groan. The worse the pun, the louder the groan.
Sometimes you will see writers add the phrase ” no pun intended” if a particular sentence construction happens to form a pun.
Our Life Daily selection of food puns is intentional.
1. Her company distributes gift boxed cashews and she has a delivery guy that drives her nuts.
2. My wife uses a kitchen implement to shred garlic and Parmesan cheese, which I hate. It really is the grater of two evils.
3. I get distracted by all the meats in the deli section; must be my short attention spam.
4. We were going to ship a truck load of food, but we found it just wasn’t palatable.
5. There was a sale at the fish market today. I went to see what was the catch.
6. As one leftover said to another, “foiled again.”
7. Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.
8. The soup was so bad it was gruel and unusual punishment.
9. A hungry traveler stops at a monastery and is taken to the kitchens. A brother is frying chips. ‘Are you the friar?’ he asks. ‘No. I’m the chip monk,’ he replies.
10. I decided that becoming a vegetarian was a missed steak.
11. When making butter there is little margarine for error.
12. Have you ever tried to eat a clock? It’s very time consuming.
13. Is that pure rump roast? Nothing butt.
14. I paid $100 for eight legs of venison. Do you think this was two deer?
15. Why did the banana go to the psychiatrist? Because it had a split personality.
16. When the cannibal showed up late to the luncheon, they gave him the cold shoulder.
Which of our food puns caused you to groan the longest?
Do you appreciate this form of humor? Do you know of other food puns we could have used?
Share your thoughts with us by using the comments feed provided below.